Society is based on a series of rules that allow for order, flow and growth. Business is no different, where in order to succeed, rules, policies and procedures must be put in place and enforced. Thanks to advancements in technology, it’s easier to keep in touch than ever before. While this allows a greater percentage of the workforce to spend more time working outside of the office, those rules still apply, adding structure while providing the means to measure activity and usage. One area that is often overlooked when implementing these rules is printing, but failing to include rules based printing into your sophisticated plan can result in a loss of time and money.
The Benefits of Rules Based Printing
Understanding how your business uses printing, and the true cost of operating your current printing network, is the first step towards improving productivity while reducing expenses. A heightened awareness among office staff gives them the opportunity to realize the financial impact of printing, and a chance to participate in savings with rules based printing measures. Successfully implementing these changes can result in as much as a 30 percent savings in productivity, paper, incidentals and energy.
Some of the more common techniques used for rules based printing include:
- Restricting or reducing color printing by department or individual.
- Deferring to the most efficient printer for large scale print jobs.
- A default two-sided and/or black and white only printing for emails and miscellaneous print jobs.
Before you begin your rules based printing initiative, consider the following:
- Take inventory. Determine how many printers you own, and the age and manufacturer of each. Using multiple brands or vendors can reduce your negotiating power when it comes to price.
- Calculate your expenses. Discover the true cost of printing in your office, including paper, maintenance and consumables.
- Review your current printing rules. See who’s printing what, and which equipment they’re using, before initiating your rules based printing system to optimize your printing network, and start saving.
A professional office print assessment is the best way to begin your rules based printing initiative. Each business is unique, and an expert that is knowledgeable in the field of print technology can help you develop a plan that will work for you, within the boundaries of your normal business processes.
To find out how much your business is currently spending on print, click here for your free print assessment: