Did you know that for many companies printing can cost up to 3% of annual revenues? Yet 90% of businesses don’t have any print controls or monitor their print costs. In fact, for many businesses, the print environment is the last unaudited department.
Taking some simple steps can help to keep your print costs under control. Here are some easy to implement tips that can have you lowering your printing expenses in no time!
- Change Your Settings – This is an easy way to immediately lower your costs. For example, defaulting your printer to print two-sided immediately cuts your paper use significantly. Printing documents in “draft” mode reduces toner use. Limiting color printing only to documents where it’s necessary can mean big savings!
- Limit Your Paper Choices – Having inkjet paper, laser paper, heavyweight paper, and other specialty papers often results in waste and higher costs. For example, use a less expensive multipurpose paper for everyday prints. Keep specialty papers boxed and away from the device.
- Set-up Permissions, Rules and Print Protocols – Most likely your accounting department rarely needs to print in color, while your marketing department may need to do so on a daily basis. Creating permissions and protocols can significantly reduce waste and cut costs. You can also monitor users to better analyze other areas for cost savings.
- Embrace the “Paperless” Office – Taking your document management digital can save not only money, but time as well. By scanning to the cloud, digitizing invoices, receipts and other documents to create easily editable, quickly searchable files you’ll not only cut print costs, but you’ll also reduce storage needs to free up valuable office real estate.
- Replacing Outdated Equipment – Old inefficient equipment is costing you time and money by using more energy, requiring repairs and slowing your productivity. Upgrading to energy-efficient devices that use less toner, print faster, and require fewer repairs can quickly pay off!
Engaging a Managed Print Services provider can help you to lower your costs even further. By taking a comprehensive approach to your print environment, an MPS provider can help you to improve workflows, increase productivity and significantly reduce your print costs.